Friday, August 7, 2015

Lemon Curd

Four years ago, my mother daughter and I were moving from Georgia back to Colorado. That first night we left Atlanta, and got to Tennessee. We say "Somewhere" because we found a hotel, and pulled over. That's where we stayed. 

I have no idea the town we were in. What the name of the hotel was, or anything. What I can tell you is a 2 block walk from the hotel was the best little cafe. It was one of those that was most definitely owned by locals. I cannot remember what real food we ate that night, what I can tell you is we ordered desert. This is pretty remarkable since we are usually so full after eating out that dessert is the last thing on our minds. 

Mom ordered a coconut cream pie, my daughter ordered a lemon meringue, and I ordered a chocolate cream pie. I swear on everything I hold dear these were the best pies I have ever ate. Better than my grandmas berry cobbler, better than my mothers pumpkin pie, better than all the tarts I ever ate when I lived in England.

We have yet to master how they made the coconut, and the chocolate, but...I have figured out their secret to the lemon meringue.

Lemon curd.

Oh my good lord this stuff is so addictive. This summer alone I've put up about 16 jars of it, along with lime, grapefruit and orange curd. Lemon curd is my favorite though. I eat it on scones, by itself. Seriously I've been known, and so has my daughter to just open a jar and eat it straight from it. Like it's some kind of pudding.

Now, it calls for 7 whole eggs, and 5 egg yolks. So I only make it when eggs are cheap, and then freeze the egg whites. 

The USDA says to only use the lemon juice you can buy in the store. It's acid is controlled. Well...I buy pH strips, and I am a biology major. Chemistry is something I understand and can figure out what the proper pH should be. It needs to be below about a 4.6 or so. This is to keep any funkies from growing. 

I love the smell of freshly grated lemon peel. So I start with about 1/2 a cup, sometimes more.

Then I stick my 8-10 lemons (depending on size) Into the microwave for a minute. This releases a ton more juice than if you just slice into them and juice away.

Not to mention the lemon peel is just so bloody pretty. 

The eggs get whisked into the stock pot full of lemon juice, peel, eggs, and sugar. Stir until it starts to thicken up. My big batches take about 20 minutes of continual stirring to thicken.

Pour into a fine mesh strainer, so the seeds and peel are caught while the yummyness strains out.

Place into hot jars, put lids on then can in a water bath. For my altitude, and since I can these in 1/2 pint jars I boil them for 15-20 minutes.

Recipe 
Juice from 8-10 lemons (About 2.5 cups of Lemon juice)
Zest from lemons
5 egg yolks
7 whole eggs
3 cups of sugar 
(Optional) 2-3 drops of vanilla to enrich the flavor.

Follow the above instructions.

Eat, enjoy,





No comments:

Post a Comment