Sunday, July 12, 2015

Dehydrating milk

When my daughter was little we used to joke that we needed a herd of cows to keep her in milk. She would often drink over a half a gallon a day, interspersed with her favorite thing, chamomile tea. The child was a walking drinker. Always with a bottle or sippy cup in her hand, until when she hit 4 she suddenly decided that that wasn't the way forward, and began drinking other things.

Now that she is older we don't go through as much, and since I'm cheap I typically only buy the milk that is $1.99, when it's on sale...and I'll search grocery store ads until I find the one that has it for that price. Sometimes I will do the walmart price matching thing, but I do try to avoid them as much as possible. Mainly because they do not double coupons.

So that brings me to the point at hand. We often don't use all of our milk before it goes bad. Now sometimes I make a soft cheese, which I will write about at a later date. But I recently came across a Pin, on my favorite place in the world Pinterest that tells me how to dehydrate milk.
(Follow me  there at My Pinterest)

WHAT? Okay so I do a ton of baking when I have the time, and I use dehydrated milk. Yet it is expensive. Seriously expensive. Which makes me think  that there has to be a way to do it at home. Suddenly here comes along this pin. And et voila!
I have a way to use the milk that will often go bad before we get it all used, and I can still have my fabulous dehydrated milk for when I'm baking at events. SQUEE. Okay I'm excited now.

The pin links me to Perky Prepping Gramma tight here on blogspot. Seriously read her stuff, I spent a good hour there while I was discovering all the amazingness that is her page.

Back to the dehydrating milk, I admit I had to wait a while before I could actually do this. I've just had gall bladder surgery, but that hasn't stopped me from putting up several pints of blueberries, some jalapeno jam, and some pickled jalapenos. Never the less, I did have to behave myself since this meant dragging out the dehydrator and moving several things off my swivel shelf. which is where I plug in the dehydrator.

I have that to deal with, plus I just bought milk this stuff isn't set to go off for several weeks. I'm going to have to press pause, and get back with the results.

(Saved at this point 7/12/2015)

Just had to share this little note before I forgot, will edit with results as soon as milk is set to go off.

No comments:

Post a Comment